15 Nov Quick and healthy cucumber rolls
Ever felt super lazy but still motivated to eat healthily? Ever wanted to make your friends think that you have a rather sophisticated palate when you invite them over? Well, for me, the answer’s “yes” to both these questions, and I’m sure the same goes for a lot of you.
Here I’ll show you how to make cucumber rolls with salmon and cottage cheese, the epitome of healthy fast food. You can keep them around as a snack, serve them as appetizers when you got people over, or even take them to work. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, and salmon contains those famous omega-3 fatty acids that are good for your heart, among other things.
Note that you can make these with turkey instead of salmon, or you can skip the second ingredient altogether and just go with cottage cheese and cucumber. I personally prefer salmon with this.
Ingredients (for 8 rolls)
- 1/2 long cucumber or 1 small cucumber
- 8 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 2 strips of salmon (approx. 50grams)
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 pieces of kitchen paper
- 1 kitchen knife
- 1 peeler (optional)
- 8 toothpicks
- Slice the cucumber into 8 rectangle slices (as shown below) using a knife or a peeler*
- Place slices on paper
- Place 1 scant tablespoon of cottage cheese on one half of each cucumber slice
- Take the 2 salmon strips, cut each strip into 4 pieces of equal size, total of 8 pieces
- For each cucumber slice, place a piece of salmon on top of the cottage cheese
- Pinch of pepper (optional)
- Roll carefully, starting from the side with the cottage cheese and the salmon
- Once rolled, pin with toothpick
- You can eat the rolls right away, but for best results, leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Sprinkle some lemon before eating (optional)
*Avoid peeling cucumbers, as their skin boosts their overall fibre and vitamin K content. Just make sure to wash them well.
Calories: 20kcals per roll
Protein: 2g per roll