15 Nov Chunky and Crispy Oven Fries
If you’re from the US, you probably call them french fries, if you’re from the UK, you probably call them chips, and if you’re from anywhere else, you’re probably confused as to why they have different names in different parts of the world. Regardless, few things can cause as much emotional confusion as french fries. A temporary feeling of satisfaction, followed by a feeling of guilt is usually the sequence of emotions that one may feel when eating them. The reason is simple, they’re really taste, but they have lots of calories and a high fat content.
So, what do you do when nothing else feels like the right side for the rest of your meal, or when you absolutely have to eat french fries? Sure, you could restrain yourself and not eat them, or reduce your portion size. But, there’s another solution… Oven fries.
Oven fries have all the crunch and flavour of traditional fries, without their high calorie and fat content. An average portion of fries (150gr) contains about 400-450 calories, whereas the same amount of oven fries contains about 220-250 calories.
Ingredients (as a side for 4 people)
- 3 medium-large or 5 medium potatoes (750 grams)
- Sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper
- Oven tray
- Boiling pot
- Large bowl
- Large plate
- Start boiling water in a pot
- Pre-heat oven at 250οC/500oF
- While waiting for the water to boil, cut the potatoes into thick sticks
- Once the water starts boiling, put the sticks in the pot for 3 minutes
- After boiling them for 3 minutes, fill a large bowl with cold water (from the tap or the fridge), the sticks from the boiling water and immediately put them in the cold water.
- Immediately after putting all the potato sticks in cold water, take them out and dry them well with the colander
- Place them in a large plate and spread them out. If the plate is not big enough to fit them all, just put as many as you can in the plate and the leave the rest for later.
- Slowly drizzle oil on the potato sticks in the plate, while mixing with your hand, until all sticks are evenly coated.
- Using your hand, place the oiled potato sticks on the oven tray and spread them out.
- If necessary, repeat steps 6-8 with the rest of the potato sticks, until all of them are coated in oil and spread on the oven tray.
- Add salt and pepper
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and turn at least twice, until they look golden brown
- Serve immediately
*Putting potatoes in boiling water and then in cold water is called blanching and it ensures that they outside surface is hardened.
Calories: 160kcals per portion
Protein: 2.4grams per portion